Mala Mala South Africa & Mashatu Botswana
Predator Workshop & Safari
10 day Safari at Mala Mala Game Reserve South Africa and Mashatu Botswana
Join wildlife and adventure photographer Gavin Slabbert, for a luxurious photo safari in the heart of Southern Africa at one of South Africa's premier game reserves.
This 10 day, action-packed photo workshop will be held at the Legendary Mala Mala Private Game Reserve.
This luxury photo safari is specifically targeted at the serious photographer and game viewer.
We've booked, 2 private game vehicles each with 3 rows of seating. As the safari is limited to 6 photographers and 4 partners (Maximum 5 persons per vehicle)
Each photographer has their own row in the vehicle to shoot from.
About the Photographic Safari:
I will be shooting alongside you most of the time, and we will provide assistance on specific topics such as dealing with back-lit subjects, panning, and wildlife behavior characteristics.
This safari and workshop is about photography, and we will make images from dawn to dusk each day. We will all work with each other, exchange information and ideas, talk about photography and enjoy the African bush.
Due of the unique location of this workshop and the luxury accommodations, this workshop adventure is open to spouses as well as photographers. Non-photographer companions will find the locales visited and the wildlife viewing opportunities stunning.
October 10 - 19, 2016
- 2 private game vehicles and each photographer will be assigned 1 row of seating.
- Each Safari is limited to 6 photographers and 4 non photographer partners.
- Mala Mala's professionally trained and certified guides will help us in find the wildlife we intend to photograph.
- This safari offers unbelievable game viewing and photography opportunities at a luxury setting in the South African bush.
- Private accommodation for each photographer and or couple. A single photographer will have their own private accommodation and will not be required to share with some other unknown person.
- Lodging is the Sable camp at Mala Mala
Is this Safari For me:
- Here are some highlights to assist in your decision making process:
- Photographers of all skill levels are most welcome.
- This safari is all about learning, enjoyment and includes instruction that should fulfill each photographers requirements.
- Our instruction is in the vehicle, and or One on One.
- Non-photographer spouses / companions / assistants will love the luxury while the photographers indulge in their passion.
- Mala Mala's professionally trained guides lead all safaris and any of the available optional activities.
Number of Photographers / non-Photographers:
We limit each safari to 10 photographers and their spouse / companions, however each vehicle will be limited to 3 photographers Non-photographer companions / assistants will share the photographer's row of seating
- Private Accommodation for each person or couple at Mala Mala. (Singles will get their own Private accommodation).
- Accommodation for your arrival night of either October 10th at Emperors Palace in Johannesburg if required.
- 2 private safari vehicles and all safari activities at Mala Mala.
- One row per photographer on the game drive vehicles.
- Round-trip flights from Johannesburg to Mala Mala.
- All road transfers to/from the airport and the Intercontinental hotel in Johannesburg.
- All meals and drinks, including some wines, & spirits (excluding French champagne) at Mala Mala.
- Daily laundry at Mala Mala.
- Tourism Levies, and the 14% VAT (Value Added Tax).
What's Not Included:
- International airfare and other transportation between your place of departure and Johannesburg International airport.
- Laundry and any extras at the Intercontinental Hotel.
- All gratuities (Mala Mala guides and staff).
- Visas (if applicable)
- Travel Insurance.
- Personal purchases (including curios, spirit liquors, telephone calls etc.)
Day 1 - Mala Mala- Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
On arrival at the airport, we will enjoy a 30 minute drive to Mala Mala and should see the first of the wildlife.
With 10 days of game viewing, we will have tons of time to focus on the predators that surround Mala Mala, especially its lion and leopard.
Expect to see lion, leopard and other predators, general game and birds of prey each day.
Day 10 - After the morning game drive, guests will be returned to the airport, and fly back to Johannesburg.
MalaMala Game Reserve is the Safari Industry's blueprint to the luxury photographic safari. In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator. MalaMala Game Reserve is the largest private Big Five game reserve in South Africa. Comprising 13 300 ha (33 000 acres), MalaMala shares a 19 km (12 mile) unfenced border with the world-renowned Kruger National Park, and lies strategically sandwiched between the National Park and the Sabi Sand Reserve.
For over four decades, Michael Rattray has remained focused on his objective to preserve and protect the land over which he is custodian. Allowing nature to move to its innate rhythm, guests experience today what the forefathers of the African Safari would have experienced at the turn of the century. This philosophy has paid off, as experienced by a veritable collection of photojournalists and film-makers who have made MalaMala their destination of choice to capture footage of wildlife viewing that would rival any Hollywood production for thrilling and breathtaking animal encounters.
There are 3 double cottages (4 twin rooms and 2 double rooms), all with en suite bathrooms. All rooms are air-conditioned and also have ceiling fans. The main farmhouse has wide verandas and an expansive lounge and dining area. Other amenities include a swimming pool, tennis court, Internet, satellite TV, and a library.
The comfortable beds are complete with beautiful crisp percale cotton linen, down comforters and pillows, and gracious mosquito netting. Special touches to each suite are in the fine details provided, from weather notes and African poems, to a fine array of bath salts and other bathroom amenities.
An inviting lounge with breathtaking views over the bush creates the ideal setting to relax with a book or while away the afternoon with a pair of binoculars in the comfort of your air-conditioned suite – a wonderful reprieve from the heat of the midday sun.
Guests will enjoy sublime cuisine prepared by an executive chef, vintage South African wines, fireside dinners in the boma and sundowners out in the bush.
We focus on freshly produced meals in wonderful surroundings - complimenting the friendly and attentive service, all of which is included.
* Please make us aware of any food allergies and or special dietary requirements
So ... what's next:
Our groups are kept to a maximum of 6 photographers and 4 non photographer partners, thus space is very limited. If this spectacular photo safari piques your interest, then register now.
Remember, there is limited space for this safari and when it's filled - that's it!
If you have any questions prior to registering, please contact us, or to discuss this in person, call Gavin at 916 759-0776.
Reviews of our 2014 Safari Workshop to Mala Mala:
The reviews of this safari / workshop in 2014 can be read here. "Mala Mala Safari Workshop Reviews"
Pricing & Deposits
Pricing is being held at 2015 pricing levels until the lodge provides us with their 2016 pricing, and I expect prices to increase between 15% and 20% so take advantage of this opportunity while it lasts.
Deposit is required at time of booking to reserve your spot on safari.
Payment in full is required no later than 150 days prior to the safari.
Refund and Cancellation Policy:
If you must cancel your reservation, Images in Africa Safaris will assess a cancellation charge to cover loss of nonrefundable advance payments we have made on your behalf to ground operators and government agencies, communication expenses, and the loss of time that may permit resale of your space. Exceptions to our cancellation policy cannot be made for any reason, including weather, terrorism, civil unrest, or personal emergencies. There is no refund for arriving late or leaving a trip early. No refunds will be given for unused hotel rooms, meals, or sightseeing trips for any reason whatsoever. Percentage charges are calculated on total trip cost. The following cancellation charges will apply:
All deposits are fully refundable up to 90 days from the date of the reservation, unless the reservation is made within 6 months of the safari commencement date. If the reservation is made less than 6 months of the safari commencement date, then the following refund policy will apply: After 90 days from the date of the reservation, 50% of the deposit is refundable up to 6 months prior to the safari commencement date. Within 6 months of the safari commencement date, and up to 90 days prior the safari commencement date, 100% of the deposit is forfeited but all other funds are refundable. There are no refunds for no shows or cancellations made within 90 days of the safari commencement date.
We recommend obtaining trip cancellation/ interruption and baggage loss insurance which is available from various providers. This coverage may offset cancellation charges in the event of illness before or during the trip and/or if you need to cancel for work reasons depending on the coverage provided by the plan.
For additional information you may want to read through the FAQ page