Mala Mala Private Game Reserve South Africa 2014
Includes 7 days with Photographer and Author Moose Peterson
This safari is sold out for 2014, please consider our August 2014 Serengeti / Maasai Mara Safari or a 2015 offering
Join wildlife and adventure photographer Gavin Slabbert, and author and wildlife photographer Moose Peterson, for a luxurious photo safari in the heart of Southern Africa at one of South Africa’s premier game reserves.
This 10 day, action-packed photo workshop will be held at the Legendary Mala Mala Private Game Reserve.
Included are 7 days of photographic and digital workflow instruction personally presented by Moose Peterson.
This luxury photo safari is specifically targeted at the serious photographer and game viewer.
We’ve booked, three private game vehicles each with 3 rows of seating. As the safari is limited to nine photographers,
Each photographer has their own row in the vehicle to photograph from.
Moose Peterson’s Bio:
Moose’s true passion is wildlife photography and he considers himself incredibly fortunate to be amongst North Americas critters and bring back their story with his camera. Along the way Moose has been fortunate to be recognized for his passion: A Nikon Legend Behind the Lens, Lexar Elite Photographer, recipient of the John Muir Conservation Award, Research Associate with the Endangered Species Recovery Program, to name just a few. He shares his knowledge through his writing, being published in over 143 magazines worldwide, author of 24 books including Captured and lecturing across the country to thousands upon thousands of photographers. One of the original Nikon shooters to receive the D1 in 1999, Moose embraced this new technology becoming the only wildlife photographer in the world to shoot strictly digital in the early years. While a beta site for all the major hardware and software manufacturer, Moose continues his main goal of photographing the life history of North America’s endangered wildlife and wild places. Being a creative innovator of new techniques both behind the camera and the computer is the driving force behind his photography and goals.
What Moose Peterson says about the trip:
About the Photographic Safari:
Moose and I will be shooting alongside you most of the time, and we will provide assistance on specific topics such as dealing with backlit subjects, panning, and wildlife behavior characteristics.
This safari and workshop is about photography, and we will make images from dawn to dusk each day. We will all work with each other, exchange information and ideas, talk about photography and enjoy the African bush.
Due of the unique location of this workshop and the luxury accommodations, this workshop adventure is open to spouses as well as photographers. Non-photographer companions will find the locales visited and the wildlife viewing opportunities stunning.
• 3 private game vehicles and each photographer will be assigned 1 row of seating.
• Each Safari is limited to 9 photographers.
• Mala Mala’s professionally trained and certified guides will help us in find the wildlife we intend to photograph.
• This safari offers unbelievable game viewing and photography opportunities at a luxury setting in the South African bush.
• Moose Peterson will present 7 days of photography, he will accompany attendees on 7 morning and or 7 evening game drives, and will provide in-the-field instruction as required.
• Private accommodation for each photographer and or couple. A single photographer will have their own private accommodation and will not be required to share with some other unknown person.
Hmmm … is This Safari For me:
Here are some highlights to assist in your decision making process:
• Photographers of all skill levels are most welcome.
• This safari is all about learning, enjoyment and includes instruction that should fulfill each photographers requirements.
• Our “classroom sessions” are optional, and are highly recommended.
• Non-photographer spouses / companions / assistants will love the luxury while the photographers indulge in their passion.
• Mala Mala’s professionally trained guides lead all safaris and any of the available optional activities.
• Private Accommodation for each person or couple at Mala Mala. (Singles will get their own Private accommodation).
• Accommodation for your arrival night of either October 10th at Emperors Palace in Johannesburg if required.
• 3 private safari vehicles and all safari activities at Mala Mala.
• One row per photographer on the game drive vehicles.
• Private round-trip flights from Johannesburg to Mala Mala.
• All road transfers to/from the airport and the Emperors Palace hotel in Johannesburg.
• All meals and drinks, including some wines, & spirits (excluding French champagne) at Mala Mala.
• Daily laundry at Mala Mala.
• Tourism Levies, and the 14% VAT (Value Added Tax).
What’s Not Included:
• International airfare and other transportation between your place of departure and Johannesburg International airport.
• Laundry and any extras at Emperors Palace Hotel.
• All gratuities (Mala Mala guides and staff).
• Visas (if applicable)
• Travel Insurance.
• Personal purchases (including curios, spirit liquors, telephone calls etc.)
October 12 – October 21, 2014
Number of Photographers / non-Photographers:
We limit each safari to 9 photographers and their spouse / companions, however each vehicle will be limited to 3 photographers
Non-photographer companions / assistants will share the photographer’s row of seating
Day 1 - Mala Mala- Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa
On arrival at the airport, we will enjoy a 30 minute drive to Mala Mala and should see the first of the wildlife.
With 10 days of game viewing, we will have tons of time to focus on the predators that surround Mala Mala, especially its lion and leopard.
Expect to see lion, leopard and other predators, general game and birds of prey each day.
Day 10 - After the morning game drive, guests will be returned to the airport, and fly back to Johannesburg.
MalaMala Game Reserve is the Safari Industry’s blueprint to the luxury photographic safari. In existence since 1927, this massive thriving tract of land produces the most exciting wildlife experience this side of the equator. MalaMala Game Reserve is the largest private Big Five game reserve in South Africa. Comprising 13 300 ha (33 000 acres), MalaMala shares a 19 km (12 mile) unfenced border with the world-renowned Kruger National Park, and lies strategically sandwiched between the National Park and the Sabi Sand Reserve.
For over four decades, Michael Rattray has remained focused on his objective to preserve and protect the land over which he is custodian. Allowing nature to move to its innate rhythm, guests experience today what the forefathers of the African Safari would have experienced at the turn of the century. This philosophy has paid off, as experienced by a veritable collection of photojournalists and film-makers who have made MalaMala their destination of choice to capture footage of wildlife viewing that would rival any Hollywood production for thrilling and breathtaking animal encounters.
There are 3 double cottages (4 twin rooms and 2 double rooms), all with en suite bathrooms. All rooms are air-conditioned and also have ceiling fans. The main farmhouse has wide verandas and an expansive lounge and dining area. Other amenities include a swimming pool, tennis court, Internet, satellite TV, and a library.
The comfortable beds are complete with beautiful crisp percale cotton linen, down comforters and pillows, and gracious mosquito netting. Special touches to each suite are in the fine details provided, from weather notes and African poems, to a fine array of bath salts and other bathroom amenities.
An inviting lounge with breathtaking views over the bush creates the ideal setting to relax with a book or while away the afternoon with a pair of binoculars in the comfort of your air-conditioned suite – a wonderful reprieve from the heat of the midday sun.
Guests will enjoy sublime cuisine prepared by an executive chef, vintage South African wines, fireside dinners in the boma and sundowners out in the bush.
We focus on freshly produced meals in wonderful surroundings – complimenting the friendly and attentive service, all of which is included.
* Please make us aware of any food allergies and or special dietary requirements
So … what’s next:
Our groups are kept to a maximum of 9 photographers, thus space is very limited. If this spectacular photo safari piques your interest, then register now.
Remember, there is limited space for this safari and when it’s filled – that’s it!
If you have any questions prior to registering, please contact us, or to discuss this in person, call Gavin at 916 759-0776
Refund and Cancellation Policy for this safari:
All deposits are fully refundable up to 90 days from the date of the reservation, unless the reservation is made within 6 months of the safari commencement date, then the following refund policy will apply.
After 90 days from the date of the reservation 50% of the deposit is refundable up to 6 months prior to the Safari.
Within 6 months of the safari commencement date, and up to 90 days prior the commencement date of the safari, 100% of the deposit is forfeited, all other funds are refundable.
Unfortunately there is no refund for no shows or cancellations within 90 days of this safari.
For additional information you may want to read through the FAQ page